2009 Can-Am Renegade X 800R Review
2009 Can-Am Renegade X 800R Review
We picked up the 2009 Can-Am Renegade X 800R from U.P. Cycle & Sport in Iron Mountain Michigan today. We are really looking forward to doing this long term evaluation & review. Can-Am has really stepped up to the plate for 09 and made some very dramatic changes on the 800R model. These improvements should really help improve overall operating performance and reliability.
Service and Mechanical Work provided by
U.P Cycle & Sport
Facts & Features
- Type: 799.9cc, V-twin, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 8-valve (4-valve / cyl)
- Bore & Stroke: 91 x 62 mm
- EFI System / Carburetor: 46mm Throttle Body, 2 Siemens VDO injectors
- Starting System: Electric
- Transmission: CVT, sub-transmission with high, low, park, neutral & reverse, Standard Engine braking
- Drive Train: Selectable 2w/4w shaft driven with Visco-lok front differential
- Frame: SST
- Front Suspension Type: RS-Type Double A-arm, forged aluminum upper arm/ HPG Shocks
- Travel: 8.5 in (216 mm)
- Rear Suspension Type: RS-Type TTI independent, HPG Shocks
- Travel: 9 in (229 mm)
- Front Brake: 2 hydraulic discs
- Rear Brake: 1 inboard hydraulic disc
- Tires/Front: ITP Holeshot ATR - 25 x 8 x 12 in in / ITP Holeshot ATR - 635 x 203 x 305 mm mm
- Tires/Rear: ITP Holeshot ATR - 25 x 10 x 12 in in / ITP Holeshot ATR - 635 x 254 x 305 mm mm
- Wheels: Center Cast Aluminum
- L x W x H (in): 86 x 46 x 45 in
- L x W x H (mm): 2.184 x 1.168 x 1.143 mm
- Wheelbase: 51 in (1.295 mm)
- Seat Height: 34.5 in (877 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 11 in (279 mm)
- Dry Weight: 607 lbs (275 kg)
- Towing Capacity: 1300 lbs (590 kg)
- Rack Capacity: 35 lbs (16 kg)
- Storage: Rear storage 1 US gal (3.7L)
- Fuel Capacity: 5.3 US gal. (20 L)
- Instrumentation: Speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip and hourmeters, fuel, gear position, 4x4 indicator, diagnostics, auto shut off.
- Anti-Theft: D.E.S.S. (Digital Encoded Security System)
- Electrical: Prewired for winch
- Lighting: 4 fender mounted Projector Beam headlamps (60W) with tail light/brake light
- DC Outlet: Lighter type in console, standard connector in the back (15A)
- Color(s) available: Black
- Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP): $10,499 USD
Front KYB HPG aluminum piggyback shocks with dual speed compression, rebound and preload adjustments.
Rear Kayaba HPG with remote reservoir shocks with dual speed compression, rebound and preload adjustments.
Black, center-cast aluminum wheels with reinforcement ring.
Aluminum skid plate.
Handlebar wind deflectors.
Aluminum taper-profile handlebar with square pad.
X package graphics.
X package seat cover.
Please click on the link below to see full specifications in pdf form.
800R V-Twin Power is awesome.
Kayaba shocks make this machine handle like it's on rails.
Wheels are bullet proof, but light, and you will have a hard time bending one.
Skid plate is very functional.
X package is a great way to get your atv decked with all the trimmings.
Need to address the cvt snorkel if you plan on running in deep mud or water. This year there is a sock over the inlet side which keeps debris out, but if you in water over your inlet you will have issues.
2009 has brought us another Can-Am Renegade 800 that virtually rocks right out of the box. The improved power of the 800R is easily noticeable by the seat of the pants feel.
There is only one thing I might add to the Renegade 800R X package, and that would be a Warn winch for those times when you feel the need to explore that deep dark muddy spot that nobody else dares to try out.
If you are an aggressive rider like I am told that I am, the Renegade X package is the way to go. If you prefer a milder driving but would like the power of the 800R motor then you can opt for the base Can-Am Renegade 800R model. If the 800R is a little too much power for you then Can-Am has the 500 Renegade for you, which for a 500 rocks.
Value wise if you are going to add different wheels, shocks, skid plate, etc. to your atv it is a no-brainer to go for the X Package.
It comes to no surprise that I get asked which atv is my favorite to ride, and that answer is very easy. If I had only one atv to ride it would be the Can-Am Renegade. This atv does every type of riding that I like to do and it does it very well.
From the excellent suspension, to the awesome v-twin power this atv will get your heart pumping and bring a smile to your face every time you ride it.
I have run this atv in sand, mud, hard pack, and the occasional burst down the black top and I am impressed at how well it tackles all with style.
If you are looking for the same type of power but need more room for storage and also more fender for mud protection, Can-Am has you covered with the Outlander models.
The bottom line is that I would highly recommend taking a look at what Can-Am has to offer you if you are in the market for an off road vehicle.
To find your nearest authorized Can‑Am ATV dealer, visit the Bombardier Recreational Products Dealer Locator Link above, or call: 1-877-4-my-ride (1-877-469-7433)
For Customer Assistance, call: